Monday, May 18, 2009

Twists and Turns

I used to see life with one purpose - to find the straight-away. I've thought that I'm young and still learning and growing and often veering off the road but once I get my shit together it will be smooth sailing down the super highway of life. Well that my friends, is faulty thinking.

I'm guessing life is all twists and turns and sometimes hanging on for dear life and having some fun along the way. I also think that I had it so easy growing up and during my young adulthood that now, when things are difficult, my mind tells me it's just too hard! It seems unfair and I just get paralyzed with the thought of having to struggle. I don't want it to be hard! In reality I have it pretty damn good compared to the vast majority of people in this world. Struggle is probably the key to growth especially losing the resistance to struggle. You can't get stronger if you're not willing to lift some weights! Or, to steal one of em's lines she uses on herself - maybe I'm full of shit.

In other news, I'm re-reading Jack Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums" which I read in my early 20's. I'm really enjoying it. There are these couple of lines that I keep pondering:

...I just skipped and jumped and danced around and I really learned that you can't fall off a mountain. Whether you can fall of a mountain or not I don't know, but I had learned you can't. That was the way it struck me."

Here's to not falling off the mountain!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

I'm really hating the struggle lately and long for the straight-away. Would be nice, huh?

7:03 AM  
Blogger anabel said...

Yeah, really nice. But would it get boring after awhile?

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anne said...

I was just thinking that too. The straightaway could get boring. And if things go too well for too long I get nervous, wondering what sort of calamity I'm blissfully unaware is fixin' to happen... because there has to be a balance.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home