Sunday, January 14, 2007

Three New Black Belts

Today we tested three people for their Black Belts. All three are females. My instructor, and founder of the school I own, comes down to conduct these tests. It's always great to spend time with Mr. G. He has this great way of relating to the students and spectators. He's really motivating and is an awesome martial artist and instructor.

All three passed the test. It was interesting to see the stengths and weaknesses of each student. I was proud of all of them but when my favorite of the group was up, she looked really sharp, with crisp moves, great intensity and a whole hell of a lot of power. So much of it is their natural ability and willingness to put in extra training time but I do take a bit of credit when they do so well.

When I see places that could use some improvement, I also take reponsibility for it also. Like Mr. G. said, they're all a reflection of our own technique and ability to tranfer some of our knowledge.

I'm really fortunate to be earning my living in such an interesting way.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne said...

That sounds great. What kind of martial arts do you teach? I liked martial arts (studied for about a year) but I really don't have any talent for it.

11:21 AM  
Blogger anabel said...

It's a kung fu style. An off shoot of Kung Fu San Soo.

It's very self defense orientated.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Chunks said...

I think Martial Arts are awesome for women. Of course, I don't need to be any more dangerous than I already am...LOL! hahah, I kill me!

11:04 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

Hi Anabel,
I studied Wu style Tai Chi for years. I studied of course the slow forms, but also the fast form and some of the weapons forms, in addition to push hands. I really believe in the "internal" or soft approach to martial arts.
As to your question, point taken. You might be interested to read my comment in response to your question. Thank you for bringing it up.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home