Thursday, December 07, 2006

Learning and Growing

So I'm finally serious about working the Al-Anon program. Some of the concepts are starting to sink in. I've got, what appears to be, a really great sponsor with a lot of experience. I'm pretty much following her suggestions for working the twelve steps. I'm learning a lot about myself and some of the bullshit ways I relate to myself and others.

I'm all about trying to be straight up with people and encouraging others to be that way with me. But, I keep finding myself doing really bone-headed things relating to this very topic. Sigh! I find solice in the fact that I very soon realize my bone-headedness and try to make ammends right away. There's a whole step or two about making ammends that I'm not directly working on now but I guess you get them when you get them.

I'm looking forward to making some progress in these and other areas. The people in the program give me a lot of hope that I too may learn to live a much saner life.

I decided to come out as part of a three person relationship at one meeting of about 40 people. Everyone seemed very supportive and a few came up to tell me they appreciated my honesty. One man said "I've been in that situation before." I didn't want to know how it turned out for him, so I didn't ask.

Things are good.


3 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

Congratulations! When we decide to work on our selves, it truly is the hardest work of all! Good luck with the whole process!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore this part of you, the part that notices the BS and then addresses it. Brava!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful blog you have. It's great that you found a nice group at al-anon that works for you. Personally I think becoming aware of WHY we, and others, do the things we do is 90 percent of the battle. I read a book called Toxic Parents by Susan Forward that helped a lot. I recommend it, even if your parents are not the problem. It can apply to all sorts of relationships. Good luck.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home