Saturday, December 30, 2006

Sleeping on the ax murderers side of the bed

The author of a great new blog I'm reading named Anne asked about the emotional aspects of being in a three way relationship. One of the most important skills to have is communication. Any good poly site talks about this as being a key to success.

Here's an example of this. Eduardo and I had a chance to spend a couple of hours together the other day. He told me that there was something he needed to tell me. He said that sometimes he feels a bit left out when em and I climb into bed and start talking, which can go on for quite some time, since we never seem to run out of things to say. I thought he was just too tired or not that interested in the conversation.

em, being the one that gets the coldest, sleeps in the middle. (I can hang in that spot for a while but soon get overheated and feel slightly trapped.) This leaves me next to the wall and eduardo in what we hilariously refer to as the "ax murderers side," closest to the bedroom door. The problem with this arrangement is that eduardo has trouble hearing out of his right ear. When he lays on his side facing us, his good ear is on the pillow, which makes it really hard for him to hear and/or participate in the conversation.

I told him that I would be happy taking the ax murderers side, although this leaves me vulnerable to being purposely pushed out of bed, (a fun game perpetuated by my two team mates) So we'll give this a try. I love when the three of us are talking, joking and laughing in bed together and now I have important information and a possible solution to make sure that this happens more often. I wouldn't have known this if it hadn't been brought up.

Things have been going really well. We've come out to many more people and have gotten really supportive responses. Some of these people know others in similar circumstances that have worked out for them. I guess we're not alone.

I feel very lucky to be helplessly in love with these two particular people. It's taken me to places I never dreamed of.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right, I do like this post. And as long as I get to sleep in the middle and not have to risk the ax murderer side, then all is well with me.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Hey, thanks for the link and kind words. My cousin (a man) was in a two guy and one woman relationship for a while. He said it was interesting and nice, but didn't give any details. I think you may be changing some people's perceptions here, and that has to be a good thing. LOL at pushing the outside person out of bed. Sounds like a (silly) evil plot. Glad you have a sense of humor about it. :)

5:27 AM  
Blogger Chunks said...

What about moving the bed? Then Eduardo could hear, still be on the axe murderers side and all would be well!

I just realized that I sleep on the axe murderers side too. Oh oh.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Rox, if you sleep on the Ax Murderer side it is important to make sure there is another sleeping person closer to the Ax Murderer's entrance into the house. You know a sacrifice. It is really the safest way. That is why I sleep so well when I have company over.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home