Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Adding to my already too full plate.

Woke up this morning and decided I need to do more (or even some) school work with my homeschooled kids. I got to thinking that even with all the stuff that takes presidence in my life that I might be short-changing them a bit.

I got out what I refer to as my "homeschool bag" and realized that my oldest got pushed to do a lot more organized work than my daughter. He complained bitterly about it at the time but this morning I showed him some of his old work and he said that he felt it benefitted him quite a bit. He enjoyed seeing the stuff he had done.

He didn't like math and he also didn't like learning to print or handwrite. I used to try to give him writing assignments that would peak his interest such as "what is you favorite video game characters and why?" One day I told hime he could practice cursive writing by giving him the chance to write a page on how he felt about Math.

Here is what my future novel writer wrote early in his career in really beautiful handwriting.

"Math. It makes a body bored. Down with math. Math is a cockroach. Flush it down the toilet. Math is stupid. Tie it up, throw it in the ocean, do what you can. If I ruled the world, I would make it illegal to do math."

Strong feelings eh?

Guess what, when I told him I thought we should do more work together he said he wants to work more on math.

It must be the right time. We'll see how the follow through goes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading the math bitterness.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home