Thursday, February 05, 2009

Good at what I do

It's nice to feel competent. I had stripe tests at my studio for the past two days. I love seeing my students make improvements. Since it's one-on-one during each student's test, I get to really focus in on them and how they are executing certain techniques. I'm really good at explaining or demonstrating how to make each strike more effective. I often see my students improve 100% in the 10 or 15 minutes I spend testing them. It's very satisfying for both of us. It's amazing to see the look one their face when they take my suggestions, incorporate it correctly, and feel themselves suddenly delivering a strike with more speed, power and/or fluidity than they ever expected.

The only
less-than-stellar thing that happened was when I was helping a 24 year old female student who had to throw this fairly tall 18 year old guy. She was not getting him off the ground very well so after trying to help her verbally I got up and demonstrated the technique. I knew he had been resisting being thrown which he did with me also. I showed the female student how to use her hips to get his feet off the ground. I think it startled him how easily I accomplished this so when I actually did the throw he didn't use the break fall technique and landed pretty hard on his back. He got up right away and said he was OK but I wasn't so sure and could tell that his pride was involved. After that though I had her throw me. She executed the throw three more times really well. The look of confidence on her face was great! The 18 year old guy tested next and made some really huge improvements as well so I'm sure he'll be fine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

Ahhh those 18 year olds they bouce right back!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home