Thursday, January 29, 2009

Earl and Amy

Technically, I have missed my regular daily post that I committed to and have followed through on since December third. I left this morning at 9:30 and just got home a few minutes ago. But even though my day just happened to end after midnight, I'm going to consider this as Wednesday's post.

I went to my Aunt Pat's, Dad's funeral. Earl was not a blood relation but he was one heck of a nice guy. A bunch of my family from Washington were there and it's always nice to get a chance to see them. My parents and older sister were there too. I've realized that I kind of like funerals / memorials / life-celebrations. There is something about putting life into perspective and realizing that our time is short. Earl was 96. I think whenever it ends up being your time, if you are cognizant enough, you probably feel like it went by quickly. I was telling my son today that I'm at a point in my life where I want to work hard and play hard too. That being said...

After the gathering and socializing with my relatives, I went to see Amy Ray play at the world famous Troubadour Club. Amy is half of my favorite duo / band "The Indigo Girls." Amy is more of the rocker and Emily is way more folk. It ends up being a nice balance because they pull and challenge each other stylistically plus their harmonies are amazing. The show tonight was GREAT! The club is small and I got a seat just above and to the right of the stage. In front of the stage is standing room only so I also got to see how that part of the crowd reacted. Amy had a really talented back up band and they were rocking the house. I used to write songs and play in a band. I think this helps me appreciate the hard work that goes into making a band sound that tight. They had so much energy! I also found myself missing playing and writing. I jotted down a few ideas for songs while I was there so maybe, in all my spare time, I'll at least get back to the writing part.

I'm grateful for this life that I am privileged to be experiencing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Earl. Sounds like it's a major time of change for you and your circle of friends.

What an awesome experience it must be to have played with and written for a band. You have an interesting life.

8:56 AM  
Blogger anabel said...

Anne - Thanks for the comment.

I think I have had an interesting life so far. I really do like to do many different things. People have told me my whole life that if I just concentrated more on one thing, I'd probably be pretty successful but I guess it's that Gemini in me. There's so much out there to explore.

9:49 AM  
Blogger anabel said...

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants one, email me your address and I'll send you a free CD of one of the bands I was in. I have many left over.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Me! Me! Me! I want one. I love it when I know or at least have met the artist. It makes the music so much more special. Sending my address later.

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home