Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Kids in college

My 18 year old son is now a full time college student. He was not so happy when I insisted he do this. He's a writer and wants to write. He's a game player and wants to play. He also admits that he's not ready to grow up. I told him if he had a better plan than this he could propose something else to me, but it had to be good. If not he has to go to school.

Just a bit of resistance, but now he's relating all the cool stuff he's learning. He's kind of puffed up with his ever expanding intellect right now. It's so fun and satisfying to see!

My 14 year old daughter was anxious to get her college career started. So she's taking a dance class at the community college as a "special admit student." She's already thinking about which classes she'll take next semester.

We were talking the other day about the four month Pacific Crest Trail trip I'm planning when I turn 50. Daughter says "I'll be 18 by then and should be "home" from college then so she might join me on part of the trip. I'm not sure where she thinks she'll be coming "home" from but this is from the homeschooled/unschooled girl who once said she could never be in a classroom if it meant sitting in those "uncomfy" desks.

It's so interesting to me to see these changes in my kids; just when you think you've got them figured out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

This is our last year with our oldest, then she is off to college. Police College if she has her druthers. That's when I will really need medication.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really excited for both of them because they seem to be growing so much right now. You know, reaching out and taking risks. Good stuff.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home