Wednesday, September 30, 2009

hacker smoker guy

I've lived in this apartment for over a year and a half. It's been hard getting used to the noise around here. We're right above a church parking lot and close to a busy street. The sound seems to reverberate and get funneled into our open windows. We've all gotten fairly used to it.

About six months ago we started getting awakened most mornings between 5 and 5:30 a.m. to this horrible noise. Some man who lives in the board and care home next door comes out and starts hacking and coughing so badly that it wakes us all up from a sound sleep. I usually close the window then and it's a bit muffled but still really annoying and once I go through the process of closing the window I'm awake enough that it's hard for me to get back to sleep. Don't get me wrong - I feel really sorry for the guy. He seriously sounds like his lungs are going to be ejected from his mouth!

I've called the facility and they moved the table he would sit at about 15 feet away. He still stands near the fence, right under our place. I tried calling several times but it's seems to be getting worse. I finally called the police and they said they couldn't do anything because it's not intentional such as playing music or talking loudly.

I went to the place personally today and talked to the owner who just happened to be there. She said that she wants good relations with the neighbors and they have addressed it with this man but that this is a place for mentally disabled people and they have an open door policy and that smoking is their happiness and that they don't allow them to smoke inside so they go out the first thing when they wake up and when they've mentioned it to him he'll say yes to moving farther away but then go to the same spot anyway. Even when he's at the table it still wakes us up.

I told her to try again and just ask him to move farther away (they have this huge long driveway)

I've been thinking about moving. I miss the beach community that I lived at before here. I looked at this great place less then a block from the ocean. You could see the beach from the kitchen. I had an appointment to show it to the kids last Sunday but they both said that they thought that they'd rather wait till the end of their college semester. After last night, and hearing what the police and owner had to say on the matter, they might have changed their minds. I'm hoping to take them this Sunday to look at it if it's not already been rented.

In other news, I've completed the last assignment for the sheriff's deputy job. I had medical tests yesterday. I passed all the tests that they had immediate results for- hearing, vision, EKG etc. The drug test should be a gimme since I don't go there at all. I'm waiting for the final, official results but it seems to be looking pretty good right now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rox said...

That would drive me NUTS! I like my quiet chunk of the forest. The noisiest thing out here is me. And deer nom noming in the garden. =)

I hope the kids come around and y'all can get out there!

5:27 AM  
Anonymous NFL Hats said...

I like my quiet chunk of the forest.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home