Wednesday, January 07, 2009

There's teaching and then there's testing

As I said in my last post, I love teaching martial arts. Tonight was a stripe test night. This is when I get to see individual students come up and show what's required to reach the next level. I had a great night tonight as many of my students have improved a lot. I can tell when someone is working hard and putting in extra practice time.

I also got a call from a parent who said her son was really excited after Monday's class. She said that Mark said "Ms. A.... said I did a great job in class and you know what? I think I did too!" I was so charmed by that. I've given him compliments before but he really did surprise me with his focus and willingness to receive the coaching I was giving him. He was trying way harder than usual. I guess the enthusiasm must have shown more in my voice or that we connected in a bigger way but his mom said she had never seen him so elated after class and that he went home and practiced for the test. This is a kid that used to practically space out during class. He's really adorable. I'm grateful that people take the time to let me know when what I do is making a difference.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

This kid sounds like he'll go far in life!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home