Tuesday, January 06, 2009

I love teaching

The last couple of weeks of the year I took off from teaching at my martial arts studio. I had my instructors cover the classes and with the holidays falling mid-week, they were short weeks anyway. Instead I did some behind the scenes stuff. The paperwork, mailing list, organizing kind of tasks. That's definitely not the things I like doing but I got a lot of crap done.

It's back to business as usual this week so I've been on the floor teaching the last couple of days. THIS is what I love. THIS is what I'm really good at. THIS is where it feels almost effortless and THIS is what I'd still do if won the lottery or something. I'd then hire someone to do the other stuff and, if that was the case, I have no doubt that this business would thrive. It's just that trying to do EVERYTHING is really hard and I resist it too the point that I feel guilty and discouraged.

But... on another note, I talked to someone who's a lieutenant at the Sheriff's department who said that if I got on there I'd probably be working in the jails for the first three or four years. He says it's a great job and really pretty easy. He also said most of the people working in that capacity are clearing 100 grand a year. That could help me hire someone to do those jobs at the studio that I don't like and allow me to teach when I'm off work. Of course I haven't been hired. I'm still in the background investigation portion of the process. I'm not supposed to hear anything from them till close to the end of the month then there's still a lot of hurdles but you never know. I'll just keep going and see what comes of it. I'm grateful to have some financial hope right now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. Don't worry if the background check takes a while. It just depends on how busy the clerks sending the records to your potential employer are.

8:04 PM  
Blogger anabel said...

Anne - do you have experience with this sort of thing?

11:34 PM  
Blogger Rox said...

I could never work in a jail, people who are wild enough to break the law intimidate the hell out of me!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home