Saturday, January 03, 2009

Celebrating Ron's Life

I'm having a better day today. I was feeling pretty lonely yesterday morning and took a mental health day. I laid around, ate leftover pizza, and watched several episodes of The L Word. I called a couple of friends for support. That did me a lot of good.

Today I went to a friends memorial service in Idyllwild. Ron and Sandii were a great couple. They are both such positive people and really great musicians to boot. It was always really obvious how much they loved each other. Sandii was part of the group of ladies I knew that celebrated our birthdays together and often went for hikes. When I first met Ron I thought he looked like John Denver. Ron passed away from cancer that he was first diagnosed with 30 years ago. He beat it back twice! It came back again last year after being in remission for about 20 years.

I found this you tube recording of a Palm Springs TV station story that they did on Ron and Sandii and his fight for life. It aired last May when things were still looking optimistic. It's really good.

The service was really nice. A mix of memories and music. Then everyone went to another building and groups of people played music for hours. I even went up with my old group and added my harmony. It was so nice touching base with so many people I used to see on a regular basis.

It makes me think about life... and people and friends and joys and sorrows and making the best of what time we have.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

Post holiday funerals are the worst. I'm so sorry you lost your friend but I'm glad that you got to touch base with old friends and honor his life.

We all need a mental health day every so often!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home