Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ripping off the band-aid

I just got back from my Al-anon meeting. Boy did I ever need it. Everything that got said today seemed to touch on my experiences. I'm grateful to have this place to go to.

I'm the type of person who if I've decided to get into the ocean and I know it will be cold at first, I jump in all at once. When I've figured out that there is something that absolutely has to be done that makes me feel nervous or scared, I like to get it done quickly and not vacillate. When a band-aid needs to come off, I rip it off in one fell swoop. But this past year has gone against my natural habit. The emotional connection band-aid is being torn off agonizingly slow. Rip... ouch....tear... owww....peal...holy shit....re-stick...slight relief...pull...nooooo...and then I'm at the last part but instead of it being glued on it feels stitched on. I'm tugging but fuck, it's on there good and I can see blood and.....I may just let it flap there in the breeze for awhile.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

So, I need to ask you, how long ago did you stop drinking and is the pull (when things get too much) still strong?

I'm also a band-aid ripper offer. Then I kvetch about it for ten years.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it is better to rip that band-aid off.
Ew. :p

11:22 AM  
Blogger anabel said...

To answer your question, Rox, Al-anon is for people who are friends or relatives of alcoholics but for me, it has more to do with thinking I have control over anyone else. I myself don't have a drinking problem and only drink occasionally.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home