Saturday, December 27, 2008

Trying to be comfortable not knowing

There's this book called "Don't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff" by Richard Carlson. I had heard about this book for years but I often tend to look the other way if something is popular in mainstream society. If Oprah recommends it, I usually won't look into it. Seems kind of silly and in my own way elitist but oh well.

I happened to see this book in the deeply discounted section at a bookstore. I thought "Oh THAT book." I picked it up and randomly read one of the very small 2-3 page chapters. "Hey now, that kind of makes sense" then after looking at another "Wow, I really needed to hear that!" So I bought the book and read it and got a lot out of it. Now I pick it up every once in a while and randomly read something or scan the chapters looking for something that might pertain to my life.

There is a chapter I read today titled "Get comfortable not knowing." I think I related in an earlier post the parable-like tale about the man who seems to be having all these major problems that led to what most would call great circumstances which, it seemed, led to another mishap and so forth and so on. The point being that we sometimes wring our hands when things are difficult but we never know where our lives will lead. The author's suggestion is that we get comfortable not knowing how things will turn out. Way easier said than done, in my humble opinion. But it does makes sense.

What will happen to my studio in this economy? - I don't know but I'm working hard right now. Will the Sheriff's Deputy job be available and be the right thing for me? - Possibly. What does love have in store for me in the next year? - Got me, but I think there's hope. Will Obama be a good president? - Well, at least here I think we have a pretty good shot.

It's nice to be reminded about having too many expectations and just relax a bit. Like this magnet my son has on the fridge says: "You worry, you die. You don't worry you die. So why worry?

1 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

I struggle with this too, not as much as I used to, but I still do.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home