Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Kagelmaster 2000

OK. You know who you are. I've talked to, and read, enough women to know that there are A LOT of us out there who suffer from stress incontinence. It's so annoying.

I'm a pretty physical person. When I'm out running, playing tennis, teaching martial arts or doing any jarring-type movement I know that I have to wear a menstrual pad to catch the leaking urine. I hate that out-of-control feeling, even when I'm protected. I've taken to rolling up toilet paper into a joint sized bundle and propping it between my labia. This works well for two reasons - 1. I don't have to feel the evacuation as much and 2. It provides an extra layer of absorption. I've learned to cope but what really bothers me is the lack of spontaneity. It's not like I wear a pad all the time so occasionally I find myself holding back. Say I'm at Disneyland with the kids and suddenly there's that fun urge to dash to get in line for a ride. I'm good for 5 or 6 running steps then have to walk again. I've been at em's house when her kids were playing Dance, Dance, Revolution and they asked me to play. I would have but didn't have a pad on so declined. I love to run and move. It makes me sad to have to restrict myself or plan for every sudden joyous movement.

So after years of suffering I have purchased and begun using the (drum roll) KAGELMASTER 2000 (insert echo effect) which is basically an adjustable, spring loaded, vaginally inserted exercise device. When used daily for 3-6 months it's supposed to improve and/or cure stress incontinence by strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor. I've been using it for the last 10 days or so and can feel those muscles starting to move more powerfully - better squeezing action so I'll have to follow up with a results review in a few months. If it works I'll be telling everyone.

One thing that makes doing the exercises more....um ...shall we say pleasant is the secret extra device that they send free with each order. It's designed to make sure you're using the right muscles. Some of you have probably guessed by now. It's a vibrator. They instruct you to touch the clitoris and hold it there for 3 to 4 seconds with the KM inside. Yep, that really helps. You do 3 sets of 30. Let's just say that I'm probably being way more consistent than I would have without that particular extra.

I'm glad to have some hope that this years-long problem will be resolved. Once I've achieved the results I'm looking for they say I must follow a maintenance plan to maintain my strength - something like 2-4 times per week on average. I'll keep all you gals posted.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

I do Kegals every day, or at least I try to! The trampoline and a sudden sneeze get me every single time though. Stupid vaginal childbirth! LOL!

I can't wait to hear how this works!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I hear it plagues even those of us without vaginal childbirth experience!

11:09 PM  
Blogger anabel said...

Yeah I'm excited to see if it works. Trampoline - that requires protection for sure. Sneezes don't sneak up on me too much, I usually feel them coming from a mile away (for sure after sucking on a strong mint) so I employ the cross legged technique.


Stupid vaginal childbirth with a kid who's head was off-the-charts big and who decided to put his hand next to his ear of the way out. No wonder huh?

11:14 PM  
Blogger anabel said...

em, you're right. It happens to lots of women but I hear more often with vaginal childbirth experience.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home