Thursday, December 18, 2008

Books that make me think

I just finished reading a short book by Dan Millman. He wrote the book "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" which was made into a movie a few years back. I read that book ages ago and enjoyed the movie.

The book is called "The Laws of Spirit." It's easy reading. You could finish the entire book in an hour or two but I would read a one or two chapters and the think about it for a while. He says right off the bat that it's fiction and asks the question "What would you ask your higher self if you met him/her high on a mountain top one day?" I think that this could be a good exercise all on it's own.

He creates the character of a sage, a mysterious woman who he meets on a morning hike and ends up being her student for the weekend. I know, not very original, but the story weaves nicely and there was stuff in there that I felt was pretty valuable.

Each chapter is titled "The Law of... Balance, Choices, Process, Presence, Compassion, Faith, Expectation, Integrity, Action, Cycles, Surrender and Unity. Not all of these chapters are exactly what you might expect. There was an interesting take on each of these laws and how to understand and apply them.

Sometimes I appreciate a simple writing style, especially when pondering the bigger questions of life. I enjoy more sophisticated stories and wording also so each type of work has it's own merit. I enjoyed this book and will probably re-read it from time to time. So I'm Grateful to have stumbled across and read this one.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home