Monday, June 30, 2008

Dyke Energy

When I entered the wide world of being gay, my world wasn't so wide. I fell in love with em and that was it except for my coming out support group, the occasional Indigo Girls concert and a couple of Pride Festivals. I'd still rather be home with em, cooking dinner together, chatting and hanging out but that is not the reality right now. So my world is expanding. It's an interesting culture.

Last Friday, following the support group, a couple of us decided to go to the local lesbian bar. It's small, has a pool table as the centerpiece, and the patrons are really friendly. It's easy to get conversations started as you watch and play pool. There's a chalkboard on the wall and you put your name on the list if you want to play. The winner stays to play the next on the list.

Skeeter, a very boyish looking girl was there with her girlfriend. Skeeter was fun to talk to. I ended up playing her and our game lasted a fairly long time as neither one of us have a lot of skill. I lost and my friend Anna was up. This really brash, busty, red-haired, feme girl (I think her name is Tamara) starts coming up to Anna and telling her how to shoot. She tells Skeeter that the game is taking too long. Skeeter tells her that it's just for fun and to ease up. Tamara goes back to the bar. Skeeter starts telling those around the table about how this girl is a bitch and stuck up etc. Anna wins and stays on to play Tamara.

Skeeter's not letting it go. She's telling me how "T" is taking this way too seriously for a local hangout blah blah blah. Then T hits her ball in followed by Anna's ball. T goes to shoot again and Skeeter jumps in and says that it's Anna's shot now. T says she's a member of the BCC, or some billiards organization, and she knows the rules. I just keep telling Skeeter to let it go. No, she goes to ask the bartender the rules. T's very butch girlfriend comes up and starts getting in Skeeter's face about "disrespecting her girl." Skeeter flips her off and it now has all the testosterone energy that is seen more often with males.

A bouncer person come in and others have joined in the "let it go" chourus. They both back off. They finish the game with T scratching while attmping to hit the eight ball in. She leaves with her girlfriend to go to a local dance place. I was glad to see them go.

One time my martial arts instructor said if you get a chance to see a street fight to really pay attention cause you'll learn a lot about how it goes down in the real world. I was thinking that I was going to get that chance but I'm really glad it all settled down. I don't like violence at all.

We've dicovered better places to go. There is a big country bar that gives lessons and (mostly) ladies come to dance on Sunday afternoons. This energy is a lot different; a lot less drinking and lesbians and some gay men who are there to dance. I've gone a couple of Sundays and it's been fun. I'm becoming a better dancer. But I still I miss my smaller world.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that energy could be called "Dating Energy" as I think it's kind of the same in the straight world. I know I would never want to be single in this day and age! It's too scary out there!
-Rox

7:24 PM  
Blogger anabel said...

Yeah, I'm not too happy about the "single" thing myself.

7:49 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

I never did get into all the posturing. It sounds like way too much work to impress a date.

10:08 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

Jealousy was in there somewhere I figure. That makes everyone crazy, if they let it.

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home