Friday, May 04, 2007

That's just me....

I left the wonderful coziness of an unhurried morning with Em and stopped by Trader Joe's to pick up a few things. I went inside and saw a woman about my age and build with the same natural graying hair; slightly boyish/athletic looking. I thought "She's seems a lot like me." Then I saw two women shopping together who looked like a couple, one of them also had hair like mine and I thought "They remind me of Em and myself." I looked around and it seemed I was seeing part of me in everyone. One man had glasses like mine, one girl in her early 20's walked like me, this older woman looked at me and smiled like she knew me.

I almost always bag my own groceries at this store. I like it. It gives me something to do and it's a bit nostagic because my first job was a box girl at Ralph's supermarket. I don't see others doing this very often but as I was leaving, another look-alike woman was doing the same thing and looking like she was enjoying it also. I got to the exit and looked back and thought all these people are me but in different circumstanses. It tickled my brain.

I carried this feeling out to the parking lot and amused myself by looking at everyone and saying to myself "There I am as a heavy set blond woman wearing a lot of make-up, there I am as a hispanic man dressed in all black, there I am as a loving, hand holding, really old hetero-couple." I laughed out loud when I thought "There I am as a boxer dog looking out of the back of a station wagon."

Not to sound all philisophical but I felt happy knowing that I am living all these lives and experiencing so many different realities. I realize I don't know all the details but somehow that doesn't matter. I'm also feel incredibly grateful that this particular reality, my own life, is the one I get to focus on, the one I have some control over. I have a really fantastic life.

Thanks to all my blogger friends who give me a glimpse into your lives that feels slightly like mine from another vantage point.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Devo said...

What a great post! I really enjoy those feelings when they come. They don't always last long and we become distracted by other things, but that feeling of oneness with the world is like magic.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Chunks said...

You are so cute with this post! You sound really upbeat and happy, I love it!

9:35 PM  
Blogger tornwordo said...

I like that whole connectedness thing. We are all part of the same thing, so in a sense, you WERE all those people (and dog).

As to the book you asked me about, it's called Full Catastrophe Living.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I think I saw you over here too. ;)
Yeah, connectedness is awesome.
I hope you had a great time at the sweat lodge. Sorry I wasn't really up to going.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home