Thursday, April 26, 2007

Foggy Mountain Banjo

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to spend my gift card I got from some of my students as a congratulations present for my fifth degree. I thought of several things then decided to get myself a banjo... Yes, a banjo!

I've played the guitar for years and a few weeks back I stopped by the small local music store on Main St. They had a six string banjo for sale that was tuned just like a guitar. Sweet, I thought and picked it up to play. It had this kinda fake banjo sound but was easy to play. Then I picked up a open G tuned 5 string banjo and even though I couldn't play any chords yet, it sounded like a real banjo. You know that great sound that just ups the internal happiness quotient.

Went back on Saturday and bought it along with an instructional DVD. Learned to play "Boil Them Cabbage Down" and fell in love. I went back the next day and traded up for a better model as I know that I'll be playing banjo for years to come. I figured why live with the cheap beginner model only to have to trade up in the next year.

I've also started picking out the classic "Dueling Banjos."

Yee Haw!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chunks said...

I have to admit, I love a good banjo tune!! I'm not even bullshitting! Love the banjo! Any way you can give us the audio/video once you become confident?

6:18 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Banjos are corny but awesome and fun! Good for you! :) :) :)

10:54 AM  
Blogger anabel said...

Hey Chunks,

Have you noticed that there are not pictures, You Tube links or even a blog roll on my site? That's because I'm pretty lame at computer stuff. I know I'm smart enough but have no interest if it's not instantly available.

Audio/ Video? Yeah right! But I am a bit of a ham so you never know.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh we will just wait until Torn and S get into town and let them make some video for us!

Yay, I can post comments again!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Devo said...

I am so pleased that you bought a banjo, I really love the way they sound. It's the country girl in me I guess but I love it. I am a total sucker for people who play instruments. One day I will try to learn. I want video too!!!! Devo

9:19 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

How cool! When I put together my band, I want you to play banjo.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home