Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Out to the children

A week ago last Monday, I told my kids about my relationship with em and eduardo. I made this decision for many reasons. It's been hard to keep this a secret and I wanted to make sure they heard it from me and not in some less advantageous way. em and eduardo's kids are getting used to me being around for practically entire weekends when my kids are with their father. My kids don't get that practical, hands on experience. Eventually we'd like to live together. My kids need this time to get used to the idea of their mom being in love with a woman and a man; not your most usual arrangement.

My son was a bit upset. He's been going through quite a few changes as he approaches adulthood that have been hard, yet good, for him. He said something to the effect that the "three" thing was strange and he was tired of having new things coming at him so often. Neither of them was completely surprised about em but had no idea about eduardo. There is a long story, that I won't go into here, where a while back, I told the kids about my feelings for em but ended up telling them a week or two later that we decided to just be friends. (This was true for quite a while)

My daughter said she was fine with it. I believe her. She has been changing and growing in so many wonderful ways that may have happened anyway but really started about the time of my divorce.

Son has said since that after thinking things over, he's feeling better about it. I offered to give him my last therapy appointment with someone we all started seeing. At first he said yes. Then he said it didn't seem necessary. I was given the advice by this therapist not to push him but to let him know he can see her anytime he feels like it.

As for me, it feels nice not to have this big part of my life kept from them. The three of us are still very casual around all the kids. em, eduardo and the kids have been battling colds for the last week or so. We haven't really all been together, say for dinner or anything, since I told them. I feel pretty confident that this will all work out fine.

My kids are their usual charming selves. They stayed in town with me last weekend and we had a nice time. We enjoy each others company very much. They are bright, sensitive and interesting people. I'm really lucky to have them in my life. I think they're pretty fortunate to have me too, even with the odd parts of my life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are on a roll with your writing. It's nice reading you again.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home