Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Birds, Balloons, and People

I was looking back at some of my posts and saw my short list of things I wanted to write about that happened during one trip to Trader Joes. First, the bird who wouln't move.

What's it with me a birds in the last yeat and a half. I keep having these wonderful bird encounters. The very latest was the last post, but about two weeks ago I was driving along and noticed a Bird in the road in my lane. No big deal, it'll fly away when I get closer, they always do...O.K. I'll slow down to give it a bit more time.... O.K. there's no one about to rear end me, I guess I'll stop....Go ahead, fly off now... Fine, I'll just go around you then...I get all the way around it and then it flys off. Random encounter? Who knows?

What's the deal with kids and balloons. Saw two kids leaving TJ's holding their helium balloons with such reverence. The checker said most kids were like this. The woman in front of me said it broke kids hearts when the balloons escaped.

This remeinded me of the time my oldest was about 4 and got a ballon at a carnival. It wasn't tied on well and when it floated off you would have thought the world was coming to an end. He cried so hard and wouldn't let us get him another one. We promised that we would do a better job securing it but no, the pain was too intense. He refused balloons from that time on always getting this wild, scared look in his eye when he declined.

He's now 16 and he still remembers losing that balloon. So what's the reason behind this? Do balloons represent something more significant that rubber and air? Is there something in the psyche of children that relates to balloons at some deep emotional level? Again, who knows?

As I was leaving TJs that same day I saw a man and young girl in the parking lot. The girl was standing on the front of the cart holding on to the sides. The man, I assume her father, was running and pushing the shopping cart then hopping on the back holding on to the handle. They sailed along like this for quite a way.

This amused me cause I had never experienced anyone other than myself do this. I'm sure it happens quite frequently but I just hadn't seen it. It looked just as fun watching it as it does doing it. When I used to do this it felt kind of wild, playful and free and just a little bit of that "I'm breaking the rules" feeling. Of course the element of danger played a part. It always got a good response from my kids. It was like we were all on the same level for those few seconds. Just a few kids hanging out having fun and adventure together. Or a least some kids with their crazy Mom. It was even better when someone would look at us like we were nuts. They would be much too civilized to do this.

Leaving Thursday for Costa Rica with my crazy kids. I hope to have some good stories to tell upon my return.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home