Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A gift from the Fisherboy

The other night I was walking along the pier with two really important people in my life. The cool night air and ocean breeze were intoxicating. I felt great to be out there, holding hands, and engaging in pleasant conversation.

There were many people fishing along the edges of the pier. We came upon one group where two kids were complaining that they were not having any luck and why couldn't they have caught something already. The man to which these complaints were issued, probably their father, said something to the effect that the night was still young and to be patient.

These kids realized that they had caught our attention and started excitedly telling us that the other boy that was with them had just caught a SHARK! We responded appropriatly with "Wows" and "That's Great!"

The boy, about 9 years old with a buzz cut, who had caught the SHARK looked at us with these big excited eyes and confirmed Yes, he had actually caught a SHARK. Can you believe it, a SHARK! I think he started to go into a little detail as to how he had accomplished such a feat, but I was to caught up in the wonder that was in his voice.

We were just a bit past when we heard him proclaim "I AM FISHER BOY." I was beaming at this point but the icing on the cake came when he calmly started telling his family that a Fisher Boy was just like a Fisherman, only smaller.

Being a parent myself I realize how much effort that this father had put into setting up this adventure for his kids. It can take a lot of work to creating quality family time, the hope being that it will create stronger bonds and happy memories that everyone will have forever. Every once in a while, if you're really lucky, an event like this happens.

But being a person who just happened to stumble onto the magical moment is a gift. I didn't have to do all the preparation, we were just in the right place at th right time.

I don't know this boy or his family, but I'm grateful to have been a small part or maybe just a witness to the wonder, excitement, and adventure that transpired then.

Thanks Fisherboy and your whole support team.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was wonderful. I'm glad it is preserved.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home