Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Jumpin Jellyfish Batman!

I was having a great day. Following a super great night, fun morning and lazy, satisfied early afternoon. Even my tax preparation appointment went well.

Then sitting around the park with friends, the conversation turned to the huge amounts of jellyfish that have frequented our local beaches. One person said they'd heard that the jellyfish were moving on cause they had eaten up the local suply of zooplankton, that feeds on the phytoplankton. This algae is the one that causes the "red tide." So it is uncertain what will balance this out. Will we have to live with the red tide indefinately? How will this unbalance effect every other part of the ocean? Can this have to do with overfishing? And so on.

The conclusuion by many there was that the environment is in a state of colapse and no one knows how fast this will happen, how extensive it will be, and how it will all settle.

One person said she's resigned herself to the fact that we may not all be around for our normal lifetimes and it was like knowing that you have a terminal disease. We should all be grateful for each day and cherish the time we do have.

Part of me wants to embrace this philosophy and part of me wants to do something, anything to try to turn the tide (pun noted) and help put things back in balance even though I have no idea what this action would be. Then there's another part that wants to take the people I love to a safe place and be prepared somehow to survive the collapse and be part of the brave new world but that begs the questions Where? When? How?

Sigh. I read an author once who talked about the future "changes" and she said that the only thing to do was to follow your spirit; that this present human life is temporary anyway and that we're here to advance our spiritual selves. The point being that if we feel the need to move next to a nuclear power plant then that is exactly where our spirit can best evolve through whatever consequense this brings.

I guess it's time to pray. Ask for some guidance. It seems to me that a combination approach might be in order. Live this life like it is finite (which it is.) Try to do what you can to help put the balance back in order, and also prepare for survival. Maybe this is way too much to ask but I don't feel ready to give up yet.

What's next... Snow in Somalia?.... Oh!



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you wrote this. It's making sense to me to just abandon myself to the flow, but then, I've been thinking about it for 4 years and nothing too bad has happened yet.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home