Sunday, January 27, 2008

Acting

I alluded to an acting class in my last post. Why, do you ask, am I taking this class?

My daughter decided to take this class. When she told me that she was enrolling I thought "That might be fun." Then my son was unable to get an English class he wanted and since he had taken the acting teacher for "Voice and Diction" last semester (he's an aspiring voice actor) he decided to add the acting class as well. Then thay told me after the first class that it might get cancelled because of lack of enrollment. They only needed one or two more students.

I decided to give it a try thinking that if I didn't love it I would withdrawl but only after the class was guaranteed to continue. I also told the kids that even if I liked the class they could tell me if they were uncomfortable having "MOM" there. Then I'd wait till next semester.

I go to this class and love it immediately. The teacher is an accomplished Shakespearean actress and director of the L.A. Womans Shakespeare company. Women play all the roles and they have received a lot of acclaim. They're doing Othello. I got tickets for em and I to go in March. You can check out their website here. My kids are fine with me being in the class. WOO HOO! I have to give up Boot Camp for awhile though. Can't have eveything.

Anyway, this class feels like group therapy. Lisa leads us through a bunch of emotional, physical and sensory exercises to help us get in tough with the real person inside. That first monologue that I wrote about is a good indication of what we're expected to do.

I joked to em that I would take this class, discover my acting ability and become the first middle age woman action hero! She laughed. Can you believe that?

So that's the story. I'm nervous about the monologue this Tuesday. In this one I'm 20 years old I tell my parents that I'm gay. I think I've got it memorized but wonder what will happen in front of the group. So far everyone has been really supportive and I think that this class will be a good experience for everyone there.


2 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Break a leg tomorrow!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Rox said...

Will you post it here when you are done presenting it? I'd love to read it!

Break a leg on the stage! (Not at the dojo! LOL!)

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home