Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Control Continued...


Ok, here's an update. I received a letter from one of my students parent's. He's the same one who came to me Saturday morning that I wrote about last post. It turns out he's a lawyer and wrote this letter on his company letterhead and used a bunch of legal terms (but not even in a very intellegent way) about "verbal contracts" and "damages" and "actions" and assures me that many other parents feel the same way. It was hostile, threatening, and insulting. He's such an asshole.

I went into a tailspin of feeelings - anger, fear, indecision, confusion, helplessness etc. I did what any respecting Al-anon person would do and took off for the Grand Canyon. I knew I was pulling what's known as a "geographic," but did it anyway. Em took my kids and I was gone for a total of 30 hours. I drove to Williams AZ, stayed in a hotel there, drove an hour the next morning, took in the gorgeous views for a few hours, and drove back home. I enjoy driving and it gave me a chance to think things through.

I talked to some law type people and have gotten different responses but it seems they may have a point and that I may need to have this change affect new students to the school and let the others not have this change of title.

I am now only referring to this lawyer and his wife as "Mr. or Mrs. (his whole name) Attorney at Law" It's not what he proposed that's got me up in arms but the heavy handed way he's gone about it. I've set up a meeting for this Thursday for anyone who wants to discuss this situation.

I also found out about a secret petition circulating opposing the change. When I passed out the notice about the meeting I added that I knew about the petition, thought it was a great idea and encouraged everyone who agrees with it to sign it and attend the meeting.

I have some compromises that will probably appease most people but I am not under "contract" to Mr. or Mrs. Attorney at Law to be nice to them. They will receive so only curt, business-like communication from me. I'm a friendly, nice person so this is/will be a big change for them. I'm hoping they leave the school soon.

I'm learning BIG things here and although this sucks really bad I think a substantial badly needed shift is happening to me as a result.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rox said...

Wow Anabel!

One of the tenets of Martial Arts is respect. I think these parents are crossing over the line with their attitudes and their sneaky ways. I'd tell them to fuck off. I really would. I wouldn't back down. I'd be all "Unless YOU are a student, you have nothing to say so fuck you!"

I don't respond well to bullies. Even when they aren't bullying me!

Keep us posted. I, for one, am going to be rooting for you! Chin up, tits out! (That's my new motto!) Remember, it's YOUR school.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home