Monday, September 18, 2006

Habitation Decisions

As noted last post, I live in a really great place. The kids love living here by the beach. It's been a struggle to make the rent every month and I've had to resort to going into my savings more often than I had anticipated. When we moved here I told the kids that I was commited to living here for a year but that I wasn't sure if I would want to continue past this time because of the high rent. I was looking forward to getting past the year lease I signed and start paying month to month which is what the tenets in my tri-plex did with the old owner.

The place got sold and although this new owner must abide by the conditions of the lease that was in place, I'm fairly certain he will, in the very least, up my rent in November. The smaller place below me is coming up to be leased. I asked the woman who lives there why she's moving and she said Simon just told them they had to move. He wants to remodel and re-rent. She asked him if they'd done anything wrong and he said "no." She then said "Do you just want to rent it for more?" He siad yes. He's asking the same rent as I pay even though my unit has a pretty big extra den with a fireplace. I also have a large sundeck and storage/carport parking which the downstairs unit does not have. This doen't look so great for me.

So what to do? I'm going to call him today and see if he will give me an idea of what his plans are. I guess I'm jumping the gun to spend a bunch of time considering what I'm going to do until I at least know what he's thinking, but I get wrapped up in this stuff pretty easily. I start analyzing all my potential moves to the point of not being able to sleep. Stay here? Move to another place close by? Move inland and save $400-$500 a month? Do I even want to sign another year long lease anywhere? Ahh!! My Brain!! I keep telling myself, turn this over to spirit. Easier said than done.

UPDATE:
I talked to Simon. He says he's "happy with the way I pay my rent." He has no plans to raise my rent. Someday he'd like to turn the den into a third bedroom and bath so then there would be some negotiation. Nothing of this sort is going to happen soon.
He couldn't talk long but I guess I can stop worrying. I figure I'd like to be here for the next six months or so. I'll put this energy into my business. That is, right after I get back from surfing. Bye!



1 Comments:

Blogger tornwordo said...

Glad you can stop stressing about it. Up here the landlords can't evict you or even raise the rent unless there is proof that the expenses have increased. Not the same in capitalist heaven.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home