Thursday, June 01, 2006

Long hard fine day, longer week


Some days I really love my job and become so engaged in what I'm doing that it isn't till the end of my last class that I realized how whipped I am. Teaching Martial Arts can be very challenging and every four weeks there is a Stripe Test. Students come in, sit down, waiting patiently for their turn to come up and show the requiements needed to earn their next stripe on their belts. This leads to Belt Tests and moving up the colored Belt ranks that eventually leads to a Black Belt.

What I love so much about Stripe Tests is the one on one coaching I can give to my students. There are often things I miss when trying to watch an entire class as they run through their drills, exercises etc. Sometimes I can help the timid student find their power, the shy student find confidence, the awkward student find balance. I always find a way to help get each student get to their next level.

I saw a very young student today who has only been at my studio for three months, usually with his thumb in his mouth, gradually starting to give that up, with absolutely no mention of it from myself or any of my instructors. He came up to test, took a serious guarding stance, and gave the most amazing "ugly" look through his entire test. "Ugly" is the word I use with the little ones to discribe a look that translates to "don't even think of messing with me" The great thing about this look, no matter your age, is that you can literally stop aggressive behavior from a person. The more confident you are in your ability to back it up, the least likely you are to become a victim.

That's the beauty of this type of activity. It's not just about the physical aspects, it's about the inward journey that takes place in each student and all the other areas of ones life that the training spills into.

As I am getting ready to fall into bed I am seriously missing being with em and eduardo. Some nights aren't so bad but I have to wait for my kids to be with their father to be able to spend the night. Thursday nights are usually drop off nights but I've agreed to let the kids stay with me this weekend which means another whole week before I have the night free. Seems like a long wait. I picture the two of them cuddled up and feel a bit left out. I do know they're missing me as well. Oh well, it's just one of the trade offs one has to make sometimes to be in this pretty incredible relationship. So off I go, all alone in my airplane bed, no co-pilot(s).... Whoa oh whoa is me... (Back of my hand dramatically pressed to my brow.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home