Monday, April 17, 2006

Holiday driving blues


Easter is not my holiday. The folks like to get the family together to celebrate. They live an hour away on "normal" days but today it took two hours to get there and two and a half to get home. I love these people and it was mostly nice to be together and get caught up but why exactly does this have to take place on these scheduled days? Traffic is always horrible and when I suggest that everyone come my way I hear that it is easier for the majority to get to my parents house.

Last Thanksgiving I suggested that we get together Friday or Saturday instead of Thursday when everyone else is on the roads trying to fufill their family obligations. What big difference does this make? You'd think I had commited blasphemy! What would they do on Thanksgiving then? Sit around their own houses? I said "Well what are you planning to do on Friday or Saturday? Couldn't you just do that same thing then?" My older sister said she goes shopping and that can't be done on Thanksgiving.

Oh well, I ended up spending a absolutely fabulous day picnicing locally in the wetlands area overlooking the ocean with Patrick, Scout, their kids, me and my kids and another family. It was great. This is what I hope to do this year as well. The folks and the rest of my family are probably going to see this as my being selfish, but they'd be welcome to join us. This isn't the TRADITION though so I don't see it happening.

Not having me and my kids at a few of the holidays might change their minds but that's O.K. if it doesn't. We are starting new traditions that at some point my kids may rebel against and this too is fine. I'm willing to compromise sometimes but not all the time. The kids and I also started celebrating Solstice instead of Christmas this last year and had one of the most memeorable days of our lives. Yes, we still did Christmas with my parents, sisters etc. but it's up in the air for this year. Balance, that's what we're trying to find; balance and peace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balance, that's what we're trying to find; balance and peace.

I love this line.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home